Designed as a prototype to push the limits of technology, building materials, and aesthetics, the Monsanto House of the Future opened in 1957 as a featured attraction at the Disneyland theme park in Anaheim, California. In 1954, the Monsanto Chemical Co. approached MIT with the proposal to develop a prototype house built of structural plastic, an industry the company hoped to cultivate. Architects Richard Hamilton and Marvin Goody worked alongside engineer Albert Dietz to design the house, initially for no specific location. After Disneyland opened in 1955, Monsanto agreed to sponsor the building as an attraction at the park, labeling it a house “of the future.” The house stood as a cross-shaped pavilion whose tall fiberglass wings cantilevered off a square concrete foundation and utility core. Each wing consisted of a floor and ceiling bent together in a 'U' and sealed on the walls with glass. The interior was decorated in the manner of a residence with objects and systems which were imagined to become commonplace in the year 1986, including microwaves and push-button telephones. Visitors toured the home in a procession, entering into the kitchen and touring the exhibit in a circuit. In 1967, as part of a redesign of Tomorrowland, Disneyland spent two weeks attempting to demolish the Monsanto House; however, wrecking balls bounced off the fiberglass walls, and the park was eventually forced to scrape the plastic into pieces sizeable enough to haul away.