Founded in the United States in 1995, Docomomo US is a non-profit organization led by a national Board of Directors and staff that represents a union of regional chapters that share its members’ knowledge of and enthusiasm for modern architecture and design.
Docomomo US vision, mission and goals were updated at a strategic planning retreat held in Milwaukee in April 2022.
Pushing boundaries to preserve modern architecture, landscapes, and design through principled advocacy, collaboration, and celebration
A world where people value modern heritage and use it to shape vibrant communities
- Docomomo US is an inclusive and diverse organization.
- Docomomo US is a financially stable organization with robust reserves.
- Within three years, Docomomo US’s influence is felt in all 50 states.
- Docomomo US is a rewarding place of engagement for board, staff, and volunteers.
- Docomomo US has a renewed, formal documentation program.
Committed to the principle that modern design merits the attention and preservation received by earlier periods, we maintain a continuous and constructive dialogue with national, state, and local preservation authorities and organizations as well as with building owners, developers, and designers in many disciplines. Our discussions with designing architects are based on the conviction that creative design and preservation go hand in hand. Designers are often consolidating, rehabilitating, and adding to the old; preservation architects are often devising creative ways to conserve it. Docomomo US promotes the exchange of knowledge about this important legacy which extends from the planned city and the iconic monument to the house next door.